Finding the best cologne that is easy on the pocket is a tricky challenge.
Designer fragrances usually have the best scents, but they also come with overwhelming prices.
Luckily for us men, not all colognes with the nicest scents are heavy on the pocket. You get to enjoy those nice and sexy scents with colognes under $30 and $20. Here at Men's Insights, we bring you low-cost colognes that don't don't smell cheap at all.
Whether you are looking for colognes that you can count on for everyday use or on special occasions, this review guarantees you a list of top class scents with an economical advantage.
Wanna learn more? Keep on reading.
My Top 2018 Cologne Picks!
Can't wait to Checkout my top picks.
How to Buy the Best Cheap Cologne Online
You have found your way to this page simply because you love online shopping and you are eager to know if it is a good idea to do so with colognes. Using your laptop or smartphone, you can buy your cologne within the comfort of your own bedroom at any time of the day. The only downside however is that you don't get to actually test and smell the scent.
So how do you remedy this?
- Do some research. In the online market, there can be hundreds or even thousands of merchants that you can buy your cologne from. So before you hit that purchase button, first make sure that you are buying from a reputable seller. Pay close attention to customer reviews for they can play a critical role in your decision making process. Just in case you may end up buying the wrong scent, it would be wise to make sure that your purchase is protected by a credible return policy.
- Read and understand the product descriptions. Since you can't smell the cologne straight from your laptop, it is vital that you pay close attention on the descriptions. Colognes offered online are described in such a way that efficiently captivates the buyers' senses. Descriptions are creatively tailored to help buyers find the right scent for their unique personalities.
- Understand the notes. Basically, the scent of a cologne is made up of three layers of notes. These are the top, middle, and base notes. A good cologne is made up of a fine blend of notes that send off unique aromatic impressions throughout the duration of the cologne's scent on the skin. The top note serves as the frontline of the cologne's overall scent which usually lasts around 15 minutes to an hour depending on the type of oil used. Once the top note evaporates, the scent of the middle note kicks in. Compared to the top note, the middle usually lasts around 3 to 5 hours with bolder essences. Lastly, the final note tops it off with the strongest scent that can last usually from 5 to 10 hours. Notes can be fresh, floral, woodsy, and oriental. You should choose notes that best match your personality.
Did You Know...?
The best storage option for colognes is the fridge. Colognes are often stored in bottles with spray caps simply because air exposure will result to fast deterioration of the scent. Furthermore, your cologne must also be protected from other environmental elements such as light and temperature if quality and longevity of the fragrance is to be secured. Cabinets and drawers are ideal for storing your cologne but fridge is best.
Benefits of wearing cologne
The purpose of wearing cologne is much more than just making sure that you smell good wherever you go and whatever you do. The following are simply some of the many benefits of wearing cologne:
- Women will become more attracted to you. Let's face it. One of the major reasons why you opt to wearing cologne is that you want to project a pleasant impression on women. Recent studies revealed that most if not all women consider a man's smell as their primary factor in finding the most suitable mate. Therefore, it is safe to say that the best way to a woman's heart is through her nose.
- Improves your self confidence. Wearing cologne is much like wearing a nice outfit. Knowing that you smell good eliminates your worries on your body odor especially when you are around people. A fragrance that perfectly matches your personality can enhance your self-esteem and can get you going throughout the day.
- Helps boost your health. Surrounding yourself with pleasant scents is an effective way of relieving yourself from any kind of stress. Studies reveal that scents act as the critical link between mind and body. Certain fragrances have been known to activate particular important systems in the brain that work in enhancing one's overall wellness. Jasmine for example is a dependable sleep aid while peppermint helps our body release all the energy needed for us to start our day.
- Fosters strong emotional relationship with people around you. Wearing cologne improves your personality while delivering a lasting impression among your peers. And since scents have a way of finding that emotional part of the brain, sporting a pleasant aroma in various activities that you do everyday stimulate deep relationship with your peers and relatives.
- Enhances your overall charm. Fragrances do their part in making you smell good that can match your nice outfit. Finding a cologne that best matches your personality can significantly rev up your drive in carrying yourself well in whatever you do.
Finding the right cologne is much more complicated than it seems. Bear in mind that colognes typically have three notes in them that appear successively. So if you want to test a particular bottle let it settle first and evaporate before you sniff it up. This way, you'll be able to smell the heart scent of the cologne instead of just it's first or top note.
When applying your cologne, remember not to rub it against your skin if you want the scent to last longer. Just dab an ample amount against the pulse points of your body and you're good to go.
How to Make your Cologne Last Longer
Finding cheaper colognes is not the only economical way of wearing a nice scent everyday. Besides, colognes more frequently than you should, no matter how cheap they are is not cost-effective at all. Making your cologne last longer is the key. Here are some expert tips that will help you enjoy your cologne longer and save more in the long run:
- Use a moisturizer. Colognes dissipate faster on dry skin. If you happen to be blessed with a naturally oily skin, then consider yourself lucky. If not, use an unscented moisturizer first before applying your cologne. Apply an ample amount on areas where you are planning to spray your scent.
- One of the best ways to wear cologne is to apply your scent on your body's so called "pulse points". According to experts, body heat triggers scent activation of your cologne and your "pulse points" are the body's best sources of natural warmth. These are the spots behind your ears, neck, throat base, wrist, inner elbow, and bend of the knee.
- Avoid rubbing. It has been almost everyone's natural instinct to rub the fragrance against the skin to spread it evenly throughout the concerned areas. Big mistake! Rubbing causes faster breakdown of scent molecules. So instead of rubbing, do the dab.
- Observe proper storage. Your cologne must be protected from extreme environmental elements to encourage longevity of the solution. As much as possible, store it in cool places away from direct sunlight, heat, and wind.
Watch this quick video for a simple trick to help your cologne last longer:
Maximizing your Cologne's Scent
Maximizing your effort in wearing cologne goes way beyond targeting your body's pulse points. You should also consider the best time to apply it. Wearing cologne right after a hot shower will help you employ the full potential of your cologne throughout the day. Hot showers open your pores which present a great opportunity in absorbing and trapping your cologne's scent more effectively. This is a good way in sporting a pleasant essence all day without the need for reapplication.
And as far as hot showers are concerned, it is best to consider soaps and body washes with milder scents. Using cleansers with considerably strong whiffs can overwhelm or worse, alter the original aroma of your cologne. As much as possible, use unscented soaps if not mildly scented body washes every time you take a shower.
Now that I've covered some of the basics, let's get into some of my favorite products.
Talk about a certified chick magnet, this men's cologne by Raw Chemistry is cleverly engineered to effectively target the woman's attraction receptors. The cologne is a superb blend of high concentration Androstadienone, Androstenol, Androstenone, and Androsterone pheromones for effortless attraction with the opposite sex.
As its name implies, this Davidoff Cologne is a cool whiff that delivers that ocean inspired freshness. The fragrance dawns with a lavender peppermint blend pursued by an oak moss and sandalwood heart note. Cool Water has been one of the most loved men's cologne for more than 25 years so it's safe to say that you can count on its cool and invigorating essence.
Another ocean inspired essence, Nautica Voyage delivers a splash of green leaf and fresh cut apple essence pursued by a sailcloth accord with a kiss of mimosa and water lotus fragrances. An invigorating fragrance, Nautica Voyage is a manly blend of coastal herbs and wood whiffs.
Versace dreamer is a sophisticated but pleasant contrast of warm and refreshing essences. A certified floral cologne, Versace Dreamer has a Geranium, Rose, and Tobacco heart note swaddled by Lavender and Mandarin at the top and Cedar and Tonka Bean at the base.
If you are looking for something aquatic that is woody and fruity at the same time, Nautica Blue could just be your ideal cologne. It bursts with a refreshing citrusy top note that is chased by the relaxing floral essence of water lily and jasmine. The final accord of cedar, musk, and sandalwood ensures a whiff masculine finish.
The Final Word
Getting the best value for your money is a very challenging task in the fragrance world. Buying online presents an even more complicated burden where you are left with taking into careful consideration every buyer review possible.
Of the five, I consider the Pheromone Cologne by Raw Chemistry as every man's best bet. It's a cologne and moisturizer in one. Its moisturizing effect makes sure that the scent stays with you the longest. Pheromone cologne is a high concentration blend of four types of pheromones that will instantly turn you into a certified head turner.
Written by Robert Ordway
Raised in the small mill town of Lake Station, Indiana, Robert’s blue collar upbringing exposed him to little if any of the clothing industry. Robert has been following the menswear industry for over a decade and has been significantly influenced by the book, Dressing the Man by Alan Flusser. From 2009-2012, he worked in retail sales at both Brooks Brothers and JCrew. In 2015, Robert received the Custom Clothier certification from the Custom Tailor and Designers Association (CTDA), the oldest continuously operating trade organization in the United States. He is the former owner of Rusted Oak, a men’s retail clothing store in Valparaiso, Indiana.
Today, Robert's mission is to teach men of all shapes and sizes about grooming care, general life style tips, and of course male fashion stemming from his deep career in the fashion industry.