You don't need to go "sockless" when you wear sneakers, loafers, and boat shoes.
That's what no show socks are for!
Yes, wearing the aforementioned footwear with socks showing is hideous most of the time. But you don't need to sacrifice the comfort of your feet to look good, these days.
Besides, wearing your shoes without socks is unhealthy and can make your feet stink.
Fortunately for us men, no show socks aren't just for women's enjoyment anymore. There's a wide variety of men's no show socks to choose from in today's market.
In this article, we review the best no show socks money can buy today. Read more to learn about how to choose the perfect no show socks as well ...
Our top picks!
Finding the perfect no show socks is not just about picking out those that look good on your feet. You want the most durable, comfortable and functional pair. Even though there are an infinite number of no show socks out there, we've found the best of the best.
Can't wait to try on a pair or two? Checkout my coolest picks on no show socks for men!
Want to do some informed purchasing? Keep on reading.
What are no show socks?
If you are fond of wearing boat shoes, loafers, and various types of slip-on footwear, no show socks are a definite must-have.
Also known as athletic socks, boat socks, and boat shoe liners, no show socks are low cut clothing items specially designed to deliver that "sockless" impression every time you wear your favorite summer footwear.
The height of the socks is usually just underneath the ankle line and are basically meant to provide comfort and convenience without hurting your overall look.
Typically, these socks are made of combined cotton, spandex, and polyester materials with varying proportions.
Boat shoe liners can be in single color design or a blend of attractive shades for an aesthetically pleasing result.
Did you know...?
Did you know that our feet can sweat a lot? A pair of feet has roughly around 250,000 sweat glands. And since its main role is to provide support for your entire body, your feet can produce up to 1/2 pint of sweat throughout the day especially during summer. Without socks, all that moisture ends up in your shoe material.
Why you should start wearing peds
Of course, there are instances that you are better off without a pair of socks on like when you are on the beach or when you are wearing sandals. But other than these situations, it's always recommended to put on a pair of comfortable socks.
Here are a few reasons you should start wearing no show socks from now on:
- Wear them casually anytime. Whether you are just roaming around your house or visiting your neighbors to watch a good ball game with nice company, no show socks are a good choice to keep your feet clean without worrying if they are showing or not. Generally, no show socks are designed to provide a firm non slip grip to help you walk around with ease.
- Versatility. Since these socks are low profile in design, you can wear them on both formal and informal occasions. You can use them with any type of clothing and look fabulous every time.
- A pair of no show socks doesn't need deep pockets. Peds are a practical solution to your everyday footwear needs. Compared to their traditional high cut/profile counterparts, no show socks are cost-effective.
- They help keep your foot safe from diseases. As discussed earlier, both of your feet have approximately 250,000 sweat glands, which can be quite active especially during summer. No show socks are usually made of highly absorbent material that help suck up all the sweat you feet will produce. Without no show socks, you might be more likely to get tinea pedis or "athlete's foot", blisters, and chafing.
- Comfort and style. No show socks are made of high quality materials that deliver the needed flexibility, durability, and comfort. They are designed to provide a snug fit coverage of your feet while making sure they stay cool and dry during summer and well insulated in winter.
Watch this video to learn how to wear no show socks without the back slipping:
Taking good care of your shoes from the outside is a challenging task. But shoes don't just start wearing out from the exterior. Your footwear will eventually rot from the inside especially if your are fond of going barefoot. Sweating through the inside of your shoes must be avoided as much as possible.
Eventually, your shoes will start to give a nasty, aged smell that will make you feel uncomfortable around other people. Whether or not you have sweaty feet, or even if you are wearing breathable sneakers, I strongly advice putting on a pair of no show socks nonetheless.
Materials used in no show socks
In most cases, no show socks or athletic socks are a combination of cotton, spandex, rubber, and polyester materials. Depending on the ratio and proportion of these said manufacturing fabrics, boat shoe liners offer various levels of functionality, durability, comfort, and style.
- Cotton - This particular material is the most popular among other types of fabrics used in making socks simply because of its absorbent quality. Cotton also makes the socks breathable and soft which are critical factors in securing comfort in every wear. Through cotton, the socks become easily washable.
- Spandex - This material is synthetically produced and is a mainstay among a lot of different types of clothing because of its elasticity. The use of spandex among no show socks provide improved flexibility and durability.
- Rubber - Although not all socks have rubber material in them, the presence of such material is a great plus in terms of elasticity. Rubber also helps in making the socks capable of providing a non-slip grip which is great for active or athletic individuals.
- Polyester - Polyester is a petroleum based synthetic fiber which makes the socks become wrinkle free. The material also helps make the socks dry quickly although it directly affects the end-product's overall absorbent quality. Polyester improves the socks durability and their capacity to retain their shade / dye even after many uses.
How to choose no show socks?
Not all boat shoe liners are created equal. They are manufactured with different material combinations in varying proportions. They also come in unique shades and color combinations to match unique consumer preferences.
Apart from making sure that you are comfortable wearing your favorite low cut sneakers, no show socks are an investment, which makes it all the more reason to make sure that you get the right pair.
Know your walks
No show socks have different weight and thickness. You can go for the for the extremely lightweight and breathable or choose the super absorbent pair with cushion comfort benefits.
Either way, you must choose your boat shoe liners considering how you'll be using them. There are good choices of athletic socks for those casual walks on the beach and more proper options for more formal occasions.
How your socks fit with your feet should be highly considered. A good and comfortable pair of no show socks should be able to deliver a snug fit around your trotters. Peds, like any other types of socks come in different lengths or sizes. If you choose a pair that is too long for your feet, that extra material could fold or wrinkle as you walk which can cause friction. With an ideal pair of no show socks, your feet should be able to fit smoothly on the heel and arch areas as well as across the seams.
Sock's interior design
Look for boat shoe liners that come equipped with cushioning loops. This can be done by pulling the tip of your sock from the inside out. These loops will help provide that needed extra protection for your feet and make the sock more absorbent. You should also consider going for athletic socks with flat toe seams.
Moisture wicking technology
Most clothing products, especially socks, are meant to absorb perspiration. With the help of today's technology, clothing manufacturers have now found a way to step up the moisture wicking capabilities of socks.
Moisture wicking refers to the capability of the fiber to absorb sweat from the skin and releases it back to the environment as vapor.
This way, your socks will remain dry and comfortable throughout the duration of your use no matter how active you get or how much you sweat.
A lot of no show socks nowadays have moisture wicking technology, which is an ideal choice for athletic and active men.
Now that you have come to understand the basic anatomy of no show socks, let me indulge you with the reasons why the following products are in my list of top picks:
Thirty48 is a known maker of high quality and superior performing socks. Apart from their no show socks series, Thirty48 produces high end socks for running, cycling, and hiking.
Their version of athletic socks are extremely lightweight but with dependable durability. The socks come with elastic cuffs so that they stay in place in every move. The socks are made of 79% "Coolplus" fabric, 19% polyester, and 2% lycra.
This boat shoe liners could be your best choice for those short and casual walks around the neighborhood. The socks are sleek in design and come in a variety of color combinations for a creative contrast that's cool to the eyes. Made mostly of cotton, these boat socks offer a cushion like snug fit in every wear. Combination of moisture wicking technology and silicon strips on heels makes these socks a good choice for athletic individuals. The socks are made of 80% cotton, 17% polyester, and 3% spandex.
Faybox 5 non slip peds are the ideal pair of no show socks for the active and athletic. These boat socks could be a great match for your athletic footwear. It is made of 80% cotton which means that each pair offers superior comfort in your most intense activities. The socks come in sleek black, white, and gray shades for that pure athletic appeal. Available men's shoe sizes are 7 to 9.5 offering a good secured fit for runners, trekkers, cyclists, and mountain climbers alike.
Another good choice for men who were born to conquer the great outdoors are these boat shoe liners from Holisouse. The design presents an ideal low profile impression which makes these socks totally invisible when wearing different types of low cut footwear. It guarantees to keep both of your feet cool throughout the day thanks to its premium combed cotton material. No matter where you want to go and how you want to spend your day, these lightweight peds are a good match to your favorite casual footwear.
Whether you are a professional athlete, a gym goer, or just someone who simply loves to stay fit, Saucony has a reliable pair of boat socks to highlight your athletic lifestyle. These performance socks are built to withstand intense beating during intense workout routines. Basically, the socks are engineered to enhance airflow while securing a nice, firm, and elastic fit. Saucony Men's Performance Comfort Fit No Show Socks are made of 95% polyester, 3% rubber, and 2% spandex.
Low cut shoes are ideal for everyday wear because they are significantly light and offers more freedom on movement. Low profile sneakers can help you improve your performance and enjoy more outdoor time. And you can even benefit more from your reliable footwear with a pair of innovative no show socks on the side.
Considering today's market, there's practically hundreds of no show sock options to choose from. Every pair is unique when talking about its own set of advantages and setbacks. But for me, I'd highly recommend Saucony Men's Performance Comfort Fit No Show Socks because:
- They are lightweight with arch support design which helps reduce or even eliminate foot fatigue.
- Breathable mesh design so your feet don't get roasted inside your shoes.
- Innovative moisture wicking technology so your feet stay dry throughout the day.
Written by Robert Ordway
Raised in the small mill town of Lake Station, Indiana, Robert’s blue collar upbringing exposed him to little if any of the clothing industry. Robert has been following the menswear industry for over a decade and has been significantly influenced by the book, Dressing the Man by Alan Flusser. From 2009-2012, he worked in retail sales at both Brooks Brothers and JCrew. In 2015, Robert received the Custom Clothier certification from the Custom Tailor and Designers Association (CTDA), the oldest continuously operating trade Enter your text here...organization in the United States. He is the former owner of Rusted Oak, a men’s retail clothing store in Valparaiso, Indiana.
Today, Robert's mission is to teach men of all shapes and sizes about grooming care, general life style tips, and of course male fashion stemming from his deep career in the fashion industry.